The Grey Tavern
The Grey Tavern Environment
The Grey Tavern is a place where people and families can gather in and out of character. The Grey Tavern's focus is to help communities by providing them with a fun and immersive location where the individual is free to explore one's best attributes through a combination of fun and exciting role play, incentivized quests that span the local community, and a threshold to an open world where explorers and adventurers make decisions daily that affect the well being of the story of the town at large.
Our proto-type location is at 122 East 1st South, Rexburg Idaho 83440.
Hours of Operation
The Grey Tavern:
Monday - Thursday 2:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Friday 2:00 pm - 1:00 am
Saturday 2:00 pm - 12:00 am
Sunday 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Grey Tavern Quests:
Monday - Thursday 6pm - 11pm
The Grey Tavern asks ten things of its patrons:
- We ask that you respect the religious and spiritual journeys of other members within the Tavern. You don't need to agree with other's journeys but we ask that the Tavern be a place of discovering commonalities over the shaming of personal beliefs.
- The Grey Tavern products are not to be used in any way nor any manner of worship. We invite others to see the Grey Tavern products as reminders of our best selves and who we want to be and nothing else.
- We will not tolerate the use of dark or light magic while within the Grey Tavern. The Grey Tavern explores a host of psychological and spiritual subjects. Use of religious ritual is prohibited in the Grey Tavern, but we do strongly encourage discussions surrounding spiritual and psychological growth and healing. We insist any who wishes to participate in religious ritual to do so away from the Grey Tavern.
- The Grey Tavern will be open on Sundays, but this is a day set aside where products will not be sold and spiritual contemplation is encouraged. We strongly encourage spiritual discussion and renewal on this day. Though there will be no formal quests, activities will usually be provided to help draw and create stronger bonds between families and friends through simple spiritual and psychological exploration. (None of the administration of the Grey Tavern has any formal spiritual training. These are simple activities based on our own spiritual and psychological journeys. We are not claiming to provide any form of formal medical or clergy practice. Simply a place where discussions surrounding the wellness of body, the growth of the psyche, the increase in physical and symbolic awareness, and the increase of consciousness can be discussed, debated & discovered through simple and fun fantasy adventure activities.)
- A fundamental aspect of the Grey Tavern is to help explore the past to help us better understand the present. This involves adventurous activities that strengthen the bonds between parents and children, whether that be an eight-year-old child or a forty-five-year-old child. We are the product of the past. In us there is hope for change, growth and development. However, this cannot take place without an understanding of the foundations that we stand upon. There are many themes explored in an organic manner to helps those who participate in the Grey Tavern adventures to see the need for a connection to our past in hopes for a brighter tomorrow.
- We do not allow character bleed or the taking out of frustrations in-character on out-of-character individuals. You will be immediately banned from the Grey Tavern should you ever take a physical action that purposely harms an individual out of character. All destructive actions must be done while within your in-character aspect and only within the bounds of the rules of the game.
- Erotic role play is not allowed within the Grey Tavern. This includes sexual harassment whether verbally or physically in or out-of-character while within the Grey Tavern or on a Grey Tavern Quest. Furthermore, role play at your own risk. The Grey Tavern will not be held responsible for actions made by players, Guides, or Storytellers while on Grey Tavern Quests or within the Grey Tavern itself.
- Stealing anything while within the Grey Tavern or on a Grey Tavern Quest will earn you a permanent ban from Grey Tavern activities. Furthermore, adventure at your own risk. The Grey Tavern will not be held responsible for items lost or stolen while within the Grey Tavern or on a Grey Tavern Quest. Be careful who you role play with.
- The golden and most important rule of the Grey Tavern is this: Be truthful and do not bear false witness, meaning do not report that which you did not see, do not claim that which you do not know. The only exception to this is in discussions on spiritual or faith based matters. Additionally, for the safety of yourself and other players, please report violating behaviors to a member of the Grey Tavern staff. The Grey Tavern is built on a merit system of honesty without it, it simply ceases to function. The Grey Tavern reserves the right to remove players who are caught intentionally lying. In-Character lies and deceptions could have grave consequences within the world of The Grey Tavern Adventures, but it is permitted.
- The Grey Tavern adventuring system is built on an organic "living" system to help simulate a truer, more realistic, high fantasy world. Every action that you take is not guaranteed a positive outcome. Some actions taken by players that might seem quite foolish may result in a very positive outcome for that player and actions that might seem very wise and well thought out might result in great catastrophe. The structure of the Grey Tavern system doesn't always reward the "good" or "kind" player. Furthermore, actions of great destruction and chaos will have a far higher yield of negative reactions.
To learn more about the purpose of the Grey Tavern, we recommend you check out our about page.
Grey Tavern Aspects
Grey Tavern Aspects are your in-character persona. Upon your first quest with the Grey Tavern, you will be asked to created an Aspect Name. This Aspect Name is what others in the Grey Tavern Community will call you as long as you are in-character.
In-Character and Out-of-Character Rules
1. Wear a Grey Tavern Talisman. This indicates that you are in-character. We encourage use of Grey Tavern Talisman as they will be recognized as indication that you are in character over objects outside of Grey Tavern Lore. The Talisman can be worn in any respectful manner (for example, as a pendant or pin). We recommend means of wearing the Talisman so you can be in or out of character easily and at will.
2. Create a Grey Tavern Aspect Name. The Grey Tavern is an immersive, imaginative experience. You can be who you wish, whether it be a character you have played before or a new one. However, we strongly encourage your Grey Tavern Aspect to be based on your personality as much of gameplay revolves around it. If you do not wish to play yourself, that is your prerogative, but you may not find the experience as enjoyable. A possible solution is to play the you you wish you were with traits and skills you wish to develop and to roleplay as this ideal you.
3. Call In-Character Players by their Aspect Name. Calling other members of the Grey Tavern community by their Aspect Name while they are in character allows everyone to stay immersed in the Grey Tavern experience.